I am big on personal branding. As I have observed before, it is now going to the other extreme. People are trying to make the most of the social tools available out there but they are skipping a step. I want to write on that topic again and possibly simplify the message. So here we go:
I have seen personal branding process in many angles and the boxes change but the process almost remains the same. One approach can be DAARE:
1. Design (Knowing what brand to build)
2. Accomplish (make really meaningful contributions to the world and/or marketplace)
3. Amplify (using social tools)
4. Build Reputation (create a lasting impression)
5. Experience Benefits (It’s payback time)
The barrier to entry to social tools is quite low. That is making people follow a different approach – DAMN
1. Design (know what brand to build)
2. Amplify (use social tools right away – skip the accomplishment part)
3. Try to Monetize ( try to get an ROI)
4. See No Results (Of course, you know what happens)
In other words (and, on a lighter note) —
DAMN if you don’t DAARE!!!
You can download the eBook “Personal Branding for Technology Professionals” (PDF, 40 pages) for FREE. The eBook has been downloaded around 165,000 times so far. Thank you for your support. While the eBook is targeted at Technology Professionals, the concepts are applicable to any knowledge worker.
Have a great week ahead!